Thursday, July 02, 2009

Strictly Formula, pt 1

Well, the time has come...to pack away the breast pump. I will no longer be pumping Amelia breastmilk. Since May it has become such a struggle, in many ways. My supply has been decreasing gradually. I was sick in early May, which meant sleeping and not eating enough and missing pumping sessions. After that, school started at the end of May and I was there all morning, 4 days a week, and had so much to do when I got home that I was missing more pumping sessions. Overall, it is time to cease "breastfeeding". I am so busy with everything that I was starting to stress over pumping, and then I would pump and it would yield such a small amount that I just need to stop, so I can focus on bigger things, like Amelia, Jason and school.

Amelia really does love her bottles:





She gets so excited lately when she sees her bottle! The doctor told us that when we feel ready we can give her a taste of rice cereal, a couple times a week. Everyone says different things on when to introduce the first "solid" foods. I think the advice I like the best so far is "to watch for signs", signs that they are ready/interested. Since she is already following her bottle, I think she is almost ready. She cries while you get her bottle ready, but as soon as she sees it she stops (usually) and watches it until it is in her mouth. She also usually tries to "help" you get it in her mouth by reaching for it and then pulling on it, towards her mouth.

It is still dismal weather here, has been all week :( We haven't been able to get out much but at the same time we are able to get things crossed off of our to-do list, so that is good! (I don't think Jason likes it when he sees that I have made a list of things to do...but he helps, with minimal nagging, usually).

HoneyPie's (Jason's work) sister restaurant, Comet Cafe, was recently featured on the Food Network's show, Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. Their segment aired earlier this week and business has been so crazy that they were directing people to HoneyPie! I just got off of the phone with Jason and he said that the dinner rush lasted practically all night. This should make for an even busier holiday weekend! There is already a block-party on the street his work is on and now this...they'll be busy this weekend alright!

(I tried my darndest to find a video clip of the show, but it seems that it is the only one that there is no clip of...maybe next week one will show up somewhere?)

No comments: