Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Big Move


We have been keeping busy here, getting things organized and sorted out for our move in a couple of weeks. For those of you who don't know all the details yet, here they are:

Jason's last day at HoneyPie is June 3
My last day at the Oriental is June 6
Our expected departure date, from Milwaukee, is June 9

I have been busy the last couple of days going through our house and getting Goodwill boxes ready. Several times I have been forced to seriously evaluate the need of items. For instance, I have been using a Harry Potter (plastic) bank and a book prop for, what else, my Harry Potter books. I got it when K-Mart went out of business ages ago and I have decided it is just not a necessity. My bookshelf will look much less cluttered without it in the future! I already have 3 boxes in my trunk with items to donate at Goodwill!

A no-brainer I found was my Buffalo Wild Wings server training manual. Seriously? Why did that even make the move to Milwaukee, let alone the move from one apartment to the next in Milwaukee? I am really loving the fact that I am simplifying before we move so we don't move a bunch of unwanted/un-needed stuff! It should make unpacking much more enjoyable.

We have also started packing. It started with one box:


Which has multiplied to nearly 20 boxes!


We are packing mostly in beer cases, as that is what is available to us. I think that will work out better. They are a bit smaller, so the contents are more specific which will make living out of the boxes easier when we get back. We will be temporarily staying with Jason's grandpa so Jason can get situated at his new job, I can start looking for a job and we can find an apartment that we love and can afford!

Amelia has had late nights this week. Last night she even "helped" us pack a little:


(I wish I had been in front of her and lower for this picture. Look at her leg! She is walking pretty fast in spurts now. Before we know it she will be running!)

I am excited to move back home but I am also sad to leave Milwaukee. I really do like living here. I like living on Lake Michigan. I like my job - more than I have liked any other part-time position in the past. I like a lot of things. I also don't like a lot of things, like never being able to find decent parking on Friday and Saturday nights because of shows at the Cactus Club. I don't like street parking in the winter and all the winter parking regulations. Wait, those are pretty similar. Maybe I just need a driveway?

Anyways, bottom line is, the chapter of our lives in Milwaukee is coming to a very abrupt end and I am feeling confused over it. It all happened so fast and I just can't wrap my head around the fact that we won't be here any longer. It was barely a month ago that we started tossing the idea of moving home around and here we are, packing already. I thought we would at least be here the summer!

No comments: